Do any of you have kids that are
picky selective eaters? I don't know when this started but I let my kids get really choosy with their foods and I also started to cater to their likes and dislikes. Over the last week or so, I noticed that dinner was getting out of hand. Jeremy and I would have a lovely dinner of meatballs and spaghetti or chicken piccata w/ green beans and mashed potatoes and a certain
Carter someone in our family would have just plain pasta or just chicken. The worst part of this whole situation is that I would make additional foods that my selective eater would actually eat. Now, don't get me wrong, I am very sympathetic to taste buds, as I myself have many likes and dislikes. But, something has to change when the only food being consumed are a few raw veggies, a handful of fruits and a bite or two of chicken. So tonight, Jeremy and I made a few dinner rules and set some etiquette guide lines. I hope they help my children expand their repertoire and make my life a bit easier by providing one meal for everyone.
our new dinner rules:
1. no special food, you get what you get and you don't get upset!
2. you must try at least 1 bite of everything on your plate
3. absolutely no saying, yuck, it's rude, period.
4. no asking about dessert until everyone is done eating and obviously no dessert if only a few bites of food is consumed
5. no dessert until the kids clear everything off the table
If any of you can relate, I would love some additional ideas or recipes, it's no secret I am not the best cook but that is no excuse to eat carrots and plain chicken every night (or is it?)!
something that has helped us through this with ella, is having the kids help prepare dinner. that way they want to taste what they've made, they feel like they had some input on what their eating & everyone is happier. I have some really great kid friendly recipe books if you want the names of them. believe me your dinner rules are very easy to follow & you aren't asking for to much!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's essentially our rules too. Although the boys are really good eaters. Katie will eat almost anything but Molly will frequently leave the dinner table having eaten nothing. She'll learn I guess.
ReplyDelete