Tuesday, May 17, 2011

abundance

My kids have a lot of toys, too many in my opinion.  My Carter is sentimental and can hardly bear to get rid of anything, which is turning her into a bit of an hoarder.  I am constantly finding random ribbons pieces, half put together bracelets, millions of drawings on scraps of paper, rocks, dried leaves, you name it in her room.   I am constantly having her clean her room because quite frankly almost every time I go in there it gives me anxiety.  The problem is really an over abundance of toys, it can never stay clean because there is just so much.  How can I solve this problem?  Is there a way?  With Christmas and Birthdays and very generous family members and friends my kids just continue to get more, and more.  Of course we clean rooms out, and of course we give stuff away but it's kind of hard to do when my sweet little 8 year old insists she plays with everything and has a hard time saying goodbye.  Remember these?

Zhu Zhu pets, they were all the rage about a year ago.  Carter has a nice little collection of these that now sit in her dresser just waiting to be used every few weeks.  She also has a big collection of Littlest Pet Shop and plays with them often but with her closet full of Playmobil and a bucket full of American Girl doll stuff, I am just wondering how on earth she can fit anything else in her room.  Does anyone else have this dilemma? I hardly want to have spoiled kids but most of the time when I step into her room, I am embarrassed by the consumption.  I can't stop or ask other people to stop buying her Christmas and Birthday presents but I do want to reign it in.  

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!
my busy little hoarder!

1 comment: