If you are not making a roast chicken at least once a month, you should be! It's so easy, cheap and so super yummy and makes your house smell so mouth watering delicious.
you will need;
5-6 pound chicken
rosemary
garlic
lemon
kosher salt
melted butter (about 3 tablespoons)
paprika
baking twine
2 parsnips, 1 large sweet potato, 2 medium Idaho potato's, 2 onion, a few carrots
Start by removing chicken giblets (the worst part by far) rinse the chicken and pat dry with a paper towel, I have no idea why this needs to be done but every roast chicken recipe says to do this so I do. Cut a lemon in half and pierce with a fork and put it inside the chicken with a few springs of rosemary and a few cloves of garlic ,tie the legs of the chicken together to hold everything in. Start chopping the veggies, I love parsnip and sweet potato, Jeremy likes Idaho potato so I do both types, I quarter the medium onions and chop some carrots, I place all the veggies in a large baker dish and sprinkle with kosher salt and a few springs of rosemary and leave an area in the middle to place the chicken. I melt some butter and pour it over the chicken and then cover the chicken in salt, pepper and paprika. Bake at 425 with the legs towards the back of the oven (once again not sure why but most recipes say to do this) it takes about an hour and a half and voila a yummy easy dinner!
I have a bunch of leftover chicken, so today I am going to try a recipe I saw in a Bisquick cooking book I got in the mail. Chili Chicken Soup w/ cilantro dumplings. Luckily, I happen to have fresh cilantro in the house.
soup:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
chicken breast cut up
1 medium onion chopped
3 tablesppons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 cups chicken stock
dumplings:
2 cups Bisquick (original mix)
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 jalapeno chopped if desired (I have no jalapeno so we will try this without)
in a sauce pan heat oil over medium heat with chopped onion, chicken, chili powder and salt. Stir in broth. Heat to boiling, reduce heat.
in a medium bowl mix Bisquick and milk until dough forms, fold in cilantro, cumin and jalapeno (if desired). Drop dough by 10 spoonfuls into simmering soup. Cook uncovered 10 minutes then cook covered for another 10 minutes.
I'll let you know how this turns out, the picture looks delicious!
8 years ago





SOunds delicious. I have major issues with raw chicken though... it makes me gag. I've worked my way up to being able to deal with chicken breasts, but I'm still a ways off from cleaning a whole chicken!
ReplyDeleteI'll come eat yours though ;)
thanks for the new recipes, i'll try them next week =)
ReplyDelete